Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Magna Carta of Christian Freedom

Driving home today I was listening to Dr. Rufus Fears' lectures on freedom. This particular topic discussed St. Paul's significance in the history of Christianity and freedom. It has been quite a whirlwind for me to think of such "sacred" topics as freedom, natural law, spheres of authority and the existence of God in the context of this "secular" course tracing the history of liberty.

I understand (or, at least I thought I understood) that God proclaimed with the dominion mandate in Genesis chapter 3 that nothing is "secular" - all is His. Every idea, every event, every invention, every job, every person: all of the universe and its history is ordained by Him and will inevitably give Him glory. Yet to hear Dr. Fears explain Paul's writings to the Romans and Galatians set against the backdrop of the Roman Empire and the budding idea of the liberty of the soul was astounding. The writings of Paul changed the course of history. Not just my history. Not just Christian history. Not even just American history. It changed the entire course of the universe. Truly my God is a great God, worthy of fear and praise.

The Creator has spoken. He speaks in so many different ways that my tiny mind can't seem to comprehend. The universe is a declaration from God. Adam, Moses, David, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Socrates, Jesus: they are all declarations from God. Just as an unknown jailer guarding Paul named Julius is a declaration from God; and the acorn that I stepped on as I walked inside the house is as well. God has declared that He is God, and His is the kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home