Sunday, January 09, 2005

Boxes

I'm a skeptical person in general; or perhaps cynical is a more accurate description. If I were being very honest, it all goes back to the box thing. My world is a box. Within the box is all that is right and safe and true. To find out something in my box is incorrect means that I might need to reconfigure my box to create a new box, but it is still a box. So, anything outside of my box deserves whole-hearted disapproval, or at the very least suspicious glances.

But the last several months I've been very frightened to realize that the box mentality is a denial and rejection of God's Word, and, moreover, that the box is a figment of my imagination. I can't simply jump from box to box, attempting to determine which one it is that I (and everyone else) am supposed to be in. To be a Christian in the Kingdom of God is to live in grace and mercy and to joyfully recognize God's goodness in His creation, to attempt to see the distortions in that creation from the fall and to go out and victoriously sanctify this world through Christ. Christians are "not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."

Living my life is so much simpler and yet so much deeper than I can imagine. My life is to be a process of change and growth marked only by the Spirit. It's much more organic and dynamic than a box, that's for sure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your problem is you don't love Jesus enough.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Yes, it is. And I have to constantly be reminded of that amid all the confusion of thought. Thanks. :)

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home