Friday, January 21, 2005

Polka!

It's been a very interesting time since coming back from a trip to Colorado and settling into my temporary schedule as faux intern for Doug. My head is full of thoughts, but none in particular. I'm very busy, but not exhaustingly so. I've spent the entire week with people, and I think that I might be able to relate to Kelly M. now. So, although I've wanted to blog about so many things on my mind, it seems that none have developed enough to even pursue.

This morning, though, I was thinking about the upcoming weekend and all that is to be done or needs to be done. With that, I thought of polka dancing (yes, we love to polka 'round here!). A picture popped into my head of men and women polka dancing and for some reason it dawned on me that for the two sexes it will always be a completely different experience. The woman will always be moving backwards and waiting for signals; while the man will always be moving forward and constantly thinking of what it is he wants to do next. Then I wondered how it is that egalitarian feminists (or wimps) could ever believe what they do about the nature of men and women. If something as natural as dancing demands an equal but very different role from the two partners, then why does it seem like such a social injustice when this obviously applies to even more important and natural things like marriage?

What I thought even better was the picture that dancing paints of this biblical understanding of roles. The pair looks absolutely beautiful when they dance. There's a harmony involved in the leading and following. But, as I've been blessed to experience more and more these two years I've been at Christ the King Church, this harmony of roles is even more beautiful when you see it lived out in the marriages and families of those around you.

3 Comments:

Blogger OneoftheServens said...

faux intern!!!!!
yay.

3:35 PM  
Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Hey Kelly,
This is Rose. That's an excellent illustration and I'm quite impressed. You're right and the equal but complimentary roles not only create a beautiful harmony, they also make things so MUCH easier.

Love,
Rose

6:42 AM  
Blogger keely said...

This is an awesome insight.
You're gonna love marriage.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home