Monday, May 09, 2005

And while we're discussing alcohol...

I'm very glad my Christian friends understand the freedom of moderation. Today I was on a combi from Huaycan and, crammed next to a woman from the mountains with a baby strapped to her back and about 15 others in this tiny Asian vehicle, a man got on and sat in front of me in a seat that faced me. He started saying things that I couldn't understand, and I just couldn't figure out who he was talking to. Umm - it was no one. Woo hoo! A very alarmed Kelly. I figured out he was drunk when he breathed in my direction and (in English no less!!) says betwen mumblings, "I'm just so F*@%$ng tired!!". Wow. He continued to yell maledictions to someone unknown and something about wanting to be left alone while I started getting nervous about my stop coming soon - I'd have to climb over the guy!

The combi lady that controls the flow of traffic finally let him off without paying. She muttered "Borracho!" under her breath.

3 Comments:

Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

So, is 'borracho' one of those words that would make your Spanish teacher blush (if she/he knew what it meant)?

Just wondering.

Tony "I never heard that one in Oaxaca" Pyles

:-)

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, it's not so bad... pretty sure it just means 'drunkard'. At least, that's what the Italian equivalent means.
-Joel

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

You would be correct, Joel. :)

(No blushing from this girl's Spanish - I'm equally naive in both languages!)

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home