Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Once-a-Month Cooking?

Yeah. I'm skeptical too.

But I'm taking "How to Be a Wife 101"-type courses from the Mother Cook, and, of course, grocery budgeting and meal planning is a huge part of that. I'm looking, studying and figuring and, lo and behold, I think this method is cheaper and more efficient.

Has anyone ever heard of it? You plan meals for either two-weeks (beginners) or one month, buy the groceries for them, spend one looooooong day cooking and freezing, and then have ready to thaw and heat meals. It's cheaper because you buy ahead and in bulk, and more efficient because meals are ready-made.

It was a method developed by a missionary wife and the book was published by Focus on the Family. In the preface she discussed how well this method complimented God's desire for us to show hospitality.

It seems really appealing to me: a month long to-do list all finished in one day!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize if I was a bit rude around Mrs. McIntyre the other day. I was trying to make conversation about the bottled water Aaron was holding, and didn't handle it well. Please send her my regards.
-Brent Shambaugh

10:11 AM  
Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Any chance I could borrow that book sometime?

~Rose

9:24 AM  
Blogger OneoftheServens said...

I"m pretty sure that Cammy Carey does it. You have to have a huge freezer to do a full month, but why are you skeptical. You could cook for a year if you had enough freezer space.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

To be honest, I wasn't sure that a) I could handle planning an entire day of cooking in an efficient manner, b) I could handle cooking that long, c) that it would really save me all that much time later, and d) that it would taste as great.

I was wrong about all of the above. I sat down and it took me about 2 good hours to plan a day's worth of cooking - right down to every last detail. It helped and I'm learning a whole bunch. I'm looking forward to getting faster.

And this week, it took no more than 30 minutes to get great meals on the table that were homemade and very tasty. :)

What are some disadvantages though? I'm sure I could ask Cammy. What would deter someone from using this method?

And sure! You can borrow it, Rose. I'll ask the Mother Cook and pass it along soon.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home