Tuesday, February 15, 2005

One Week

There's one week until I leave. I have much to do before I can do that, though. I haven't even started packing; I have forms to be notarized; plane tickets must be received; books must be read.

I'm getting more nervous but also equally more excited about going to Lima. I'm told that I should expect a whole new world that will nearly shatter what I've known before. That the comfort and confidence with which I perceive myself and others will be replaced with confusion and helplessness. That this will be a time for me to learn about grace, ministry and how NOT to be uptight. :)

I've never even been out of the country before. I don't even know what it's like to step foot onto soil that isn't American. I'm glad I get to have this experience. I'm going to be reading The Art of Crossing Cultures by Craig Storti to help with the preparation, but can anything really prepare me for how I'm going to feel and how to react? I just hope I don't freak out and have a meltdown.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you won't Kel... it'll be wonderful and the time will fly. we will miss you a lot though. it just sank in yesterday that you'll be GONE. I don't think I've been without my Kelly in like 4 years! wow... the time flies. There's a cheesy quote that I've always liked that says something like The grace of God will not lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you, and I think that's applicable here. you'll be fine. :) I love you a lot Kel!

On a completely unrelated side note: it seems I've got a bit of confusion about whether I want to be correct in my capitalization and punctuation or not. I suppose I could just say I'm trying to please both those anal correct police and those careless lazy people who never use capitalization or punctuation or basically anything that takes up time. enjoy.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks, Lisa. :) Have you ever been out of the country? I can't remember. If so, what was the most alien thing that you dealt with?

and as for your side note...you could be like those people that never capitalize anything AND never really end a sentence...that would make everyone happy

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow! Only a few more days now.

There was a discussion about this recently at ABC - several of the regulars there have been on short term missions and consider it to have been a positive influence on their lives, even many years afterward.

I'll be praying for you, sweetie.

O LORD Jesus Christ, the Desire of all nations, who didst come down from heaven to seek and to save the lost; Grant thy blessing, we beseech thee, upon thy servant, Kelly, who is carrying the light of thy Gospel to the dark places of the earth. Preserve her from
every danger to which she may be exposed; from perils by land and sea, from persecution and pestilence, from discouragement in her labors, and from the devices of the adversary. May she see thy work prospering in her hands; and do thou hasten the time, O gracious Saviour, when the multitude of the heathen shall be gathered into thy fold, and when all in every land who neglect thy salvation shall be converted unto thee. And to thee, LORD Jesus, be the praise; unto whom, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, be all honor and glory, world without end. Amen.

11:11 AM  
Blogger OneoftheServens said...

My prayer, as you know, is that you will be utterly and completely undone and trust in Christ alone for your sanctification.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you, Mrs. Cumbee. And thank you, Doug.

:)

4:37 PM  
Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Hey, Kelly!

(It's Tony.) I bet some crazy stuff will happen. Remember what happened to me in Oaxaca City? :-) The only things I can say are, use the local language as much as you possibly can, even though you will want to try and get by on English (at least, I did.) And remember that God is sovereign, and not everyone you meet on a street corner is shady (but it's OK to be suspicious.)

:-)

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home