Monday, September 05, 2005

How To Feel Right With God In ONE Easy Step!

1. Repent.



Kelly Rose and I were discussing all the complex, confusing emotions that are connected with our relationship with God and with others. Take guilt, for example. It's so easy to get lost in analyzing the guilt, the source of the guilt, the time period of the guilt, the circumstances surrounding the guilt, the solution to the guilt, etc.

But, for me, it's hard to get to the point: am I guilty? If yes, I need to repent. If no, I should repent for not believing in God, my brothers and sisters, or the forgiveness given to me. I should move on. But I don't. I worry so much about what people think: if they're mad at me; if I did something wrong; if the reason I don't feel close to God is connected with that; if I'm being punished for not doing something the right way. I'm controlled by my emotions a lot of the time.

And it's because I don't get the Gospel. I've heard it preached, and I wake up and believe it everyday. I've heard Doug preach it to me in a hundred different ways, and Mike too. And Aaron and Kelly and Chrystal. I see God's mercy and love toward me and am in awe. But I'm still a sinner and I just don't trust Christ's unconditional acceptance.

We also noted how this seems too simplistic for the popular Christian media industry. I suppose there might be a mainstream Christian book out there that teaches this perspective on the Gospel and our emotions. I don't hear it very often that the way to tell that you're "right" with God or in His "will" is to judge your life based on His law: that your emotions are a tool and not a litmus test for righteouness. Many of the books I've seen that address this topic do not teach the Scriptural view, but are a program to make you feel better. "If you'll only do exactly what I outline in this book, God will radically change the way you experiece Him and His Word!" are their promises. But you can't change your heart in 12 steps.

Although he doesn't directly address guilt in our relationship with Christ (from what I remember), Dave Swavely's Decisions Decisions discusses our misconception of how to use emotions in determining what is right. It's a great introduction to reforming your views on this.

Kelly and I thought that this topic was too simplistic for pop Christianity's best-sellers, but it's also too difficult. You can't learn to trust God by reading and re-reading a book that's filled with to-do lists. I have to think, pray, read His Word, talk to people, let people talk to me, make mistakes, love people.

For some reason, I think of Lisa when I think of living this out. She's a great example to me of being honest about your faith, life and emotions, while genuinely trying to submit them to Christ.



(Kelly Rose? Que piensas?)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:37 AM  
Blogger keely said...

I just saw that Becky did your wedding pics! I can't wait til the site it up so I can see them! The one she has up of the two of you is just adorable.
Hope it's finished soon!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Yeah.


Emotion isn't the litmus test for righteousness. I like that part. Now can we remember it and live it?

There is one "step-book" that I liked when I read it (last year sometime): Twelve Steps for the Recovering Legalist. Doug gave it to me, of course. I seem to remember one (or more) of the steps being "Repent!". Repentance is often ignored, but isn't it the first thing to do in order to be right with God? (Repent, and be baptized, as Peter said)

8:25 AM  
Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

I know this is isn't entirely related but you kept hitting on things that this book addresses. It's great. One of the elders recommended it to me. Having read it, I certainly understand why. If you want to borrow it, let me know.

From Forgiven to Forgiving by Jay E. Adams.

2:33 PM  
Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Oh, and thanks Kelly for turning in an article for the newsletter!! I hardily appreciate it and hope that everyone else follows suit . . . quickly! Ha ha ha .. . Or maybe I'm not kidding . . . but am I?

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home