Thursday, March 03, 2005

For those who have traveled...

Peruvians are very late people. It's sort of funny, because I struggle with being on time (as anyone who knows me at least superficially can affirm). Here, though, they are LATE. We're supposed to eat lunch at two, and Martha serves it at 3:30. We're supposed to then be at a birthday party at 4:00 and we get there at 6:00. :) It's mostly amusing, but then I think about the obvious connotations it has here in the states of disrespect, bad stewardship and self-centeredness.

There are several other cultural distinctives here in Peru that would also be considered bad in the States. For example, I've noticed that Peruvian children are generally more whiny and complain a LOT. One daughter I know whines with this incredibly annoying high-pitched sort of cry whenever she simply wants something. Not to say there aren't children who do not - or that there are not children in the States who do. Just that from my limited experience here in Peru living with a family, it's a tendency that is accepted as normal by many.

These things that are considered wrong or bad in America are normal here. But is that just cultural? Doesn't the Bible speak to these things? We're to do everything without complaining or whining; we put others before ourselves; we do everything as if for the Lord; we keep our word. Does that not rip away the neutrality of these things? That's question/thesis number one.

Question/thesis number two is this:
If these things ARE actually bad, and the Americans have it correct that people SHOULD be on time and shouldn't allow whining (for examples), then is it possible that the American culture has some sort of advantage over others (like Peru) in that since it was founded by Christians many of the norms are biblical?

1 Comments:

Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Dear Kelly,

You bring up some very interesting questions and I think, in part, the answers are a matter of perspective.

Hopefully no one will be too offended if I say that generally speaking Americans are better stewards of their time than people from many other cultures. On the otherhand, is it also true that Americans are better stewarded by their time? In other words, for many Americans it seems that we put the clock above other priorities and miss the opportunities that God puts in our paths. We often refuse to compromise our faithfulness to the clock (our idol, at times?). For instance, I recall driving down the road a year or so ago and seeing a homeless lady. She was harmless and looked so forlorn. I imagine she hadn't eaten anything in quite a while and would have been blessed by any sincere action expressing the true love of Christ. Nevertheless, I had three errands to run before 5:00 and it was already four. I drove on and when I had a chance to look for her later she was gone. Yes, if I had stopped to take her to McDonalds or found out if she needed a ride somewhere, my errands would have been neglected. I didn't dismiss that opportunity based on principles though--no one would have been disrespected if I hadn't shown up at the bank to deposit my paycheck or if my wedding dress had stayed at the taylors a day longer. I left that woman in the dust because I've learned to serve the clock.

One thing I THOUGHT I learned in Egypt is to not take time "so seriously." Your blog reminds me of that. Those Peruvians are on the other end of the spectrum and somewhere between us and them, we, as Christians, should find a healthy balance.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home