Sunday, March 06, 2005

There Are No Straight Lines in Lima

I know I have only been here a week, and that my knowledge of Lima and its many cultures is limited. I realize that I am like Ransom in C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet": "He did not yet know things well enough to see them." But in order to know them, I must think on them.

I didn't expect Lima to be a completely different world. I expected different food, different etiquette, different norms, different relational standards. What I think I've come upon, though, are not different things, but a kind of other. Nothing, so far, has been able to fit in my different category. People here don't drive differently; they are working within another system entirely.

Or the children for example. I've found (and the Matthews also agreed) that it is terribly common here for children to whine and speak with incredibly loud and annoying voices - some describe it as a "child-run society". That would be different. Try as I may, though, I can't fit it into a category. Because as I watch Romina and Janella on a daily basis, I am awed by their understanding of the household as an economy. They make up their beds every morning without asking; they know if Martha is late getting home in the afternoon to start cooking and know how to do so; they quietly and joyfully obey their parents. What is this? For some reason, to me, I can't describe it as different, but as other.

Cultures don't seem to exist in some sort of file folder system of categorization. It's made up of so many nuances and mixed standards (that I didn't know you could mix) that it's almost hard to compare America and Lima.

Geez...what does that mean?

5 Comments:

Blogger T*ny and R*se said...

Other? . . . . can you explain more?

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Okay. When there is a set system in which one operates, there are always exceptions or occurrences outside of that system. We call that different. We drive on the right side of the road, those British people on the left. That's different.

But what do you do if there are so many "violations" that it seems that the system is not being violated, but that there exists an entirely different system?

And what if the violations you've seen transcend larger systems than mere systems of driving or eating?

For me, this culture (and all other cultures?) are "other". My mind can comprehend doing things differently, but right now, my mind can't seem to comprehend an entirely other system. I can't quite use my standard of behavior to evaluate theirs, because NOTHING fits.

I am so thankful for the Bible and its universal application. :)

I'm sorry, I know that doesn't explain everything. I'll be thinking more to decide what exactly I'm saying.

Thanks!!!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peru. interesting. Weird things happen when no attention is given. To just think how many things do go on in this world. Each person has different experiences, different locations, different memories.
I hope you're doing well.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With heinsight, I suppose that was a weird comment. I just feel like such a pooper for not saying hello.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Sometimes when I'm sitting at a red light, watching all the traffic flow past, dozens of strangers all going somewhere in order to do something, and I have no idea who these people are... I'll think, "But God knows everything about them."

It sounds like a stupid, juvenile thought, but there it is. So, I think I'm saying the same thing you are, Brent.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home